Are you and your partner in Short Pump, VA and in need of a relationship communication tune-up? What about other issues, like intimacy blocks or even conflict? If so, you might be searching for “marriage counseling near me” or “therapist Short Pump, VA” to find a counselor in your area. Fortunately, there’s a way to find the most suitable therapist for you and your significant other. Here, we explain how to begin your counseling journey and find a marriage or couples counselor that will help you both succeed in your relationship and cultivate the bond you deserve.
*We use the terms “marriage counseling” and “couples therapy” interchangeably, as the techniques and end goal of therapy is the same for all – to improve the relationship, repair loss of trust and intimacy, improve communication and conflict management, and to deepen the love and commitment between people.
What Type of Therapist Is Best for Marriage Counseling?
For most couples, the best therapist to provide marriage counseling and couples therapy will be accredited by the Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT). In fact, while several private practices offer family and marriage counseling in different states, Virginia requires having an LMFT to practice couples therapy. This credential is especially important because LMFTs have a lot of experience working with couples and families. Their experience leads to a deep understanding of the unique problems and issues that can happen in these situations.
With the added certification from American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT), you can rest assured that your therapist has been evaluated by an experienced marriage counselor. This license includes many hours of training for completion, which is great for the married couples of Richmond. For example, in Virginia, one requirement to become licensed by the AAMFT is that training “must include a supervised practicum/internship, of at least 600 hours.”
We hire therapists who have dedicated their careers to improving relationships. Our therapists have additional training, such as working with trauma, affairs, emotional development, brain science, and lack of sex.
How Do I Find a Good Relationship Counselor Near Richmond, Virginia?
You and your partner should take plenty of time to find a relationship counselor who is a good fit for both of you. The right relationship counselor will be a good fit for both you and your partner to better serve the relationship as a whole. However, finding this can be difficult—especially if you and your partner aren’t in agreement over what makes a good fit. In addition, there is some difficulty in knowing where to look first. But if you follow these steps, you can find a counselor you can trust to help you work through your concerns:
- Any recommendations? If you need help finding a relationship counselor, ask around—for example, you can seek help from family, friends, or coworkers you trust. A referral from your doctor or another reliable professional is another option.
- What do the reviews say online? There are plenty of counselors accessible online. Check for customer feedback on their website or in search engine results.
- Are they qualified? Verify that the counselor you are thinking of working with has the right qualifications. You can confirm their status by contacting the appropriate licensing body in your state.
- What’s their specialization? It’s common for counselors to focus on helping certain types of families or couples. Find a therapist who specializes in addressing the issues you’re facing.
- Can you set up a consultation? Many counselors offer a consultation to make sure they are the right fit for you and your partner. Ask the counselor any questions that you have and learn how they approach the issue you’re facing.
Why is finding the right counselor important? A qualified counselor can serve as an impartial third party if you and your partner are open to working on your relationship. That means you can both voice your concerns without worry of a one-sided conversation. It’s important you find a counselor that meshes well with you and your partner, because you won’t click with everyone—even if they are qualified. Finding a therapist you trust from the beginning will make the process go more efficiently.
Couples therapy can also shed light on whether or not your own personal behaviors are having an effect on your marriage. Ultimately, finding the right marital counselor is essential for couples who want to improve their relationship and make it last.
With professional couples counseling in Richmond, VA, like ours at Well Marriage Center, you can ensure you and your partner are meeting with a qualified professional. Well Marriage therapists take a strengths-based approach to counseling, which means you can focus first on what works in your relationship rather than what doesn’t. By focusing on a couples strengths first, we build an environment of teamwork that helps you tackle the tougher issues together.
Our intake coordinator can answer questions you may have about the training of our therapists, or you can visit our website and read about our Richmond and Short Pump therapists.
Should Married Couples See the Same Therapist?
Yes! Often it’s best for a married couple to see the same counselor throughout their marriage counseling sessions. (Sometimes they meet individually too!) What are the advantages of seeing the same therapist?
- Increase your sense of connection with your partner and stay motivated during treatment.
- Focus on your individual issues while simultaneously improving your relationship together.
- Improve your ability to communicate and resolve issues with one another.
- Work together to find a solution, rather than blaming one another or getting defensive.
- Create a deeper connection with each other by starting empathetic conversations.
- Having an objective third party that can manage tough conversations and see the entire dynamic.
Overall, going to the same marriage counselor is the most helpful action for couples who want to improve their relationship and work through problems together. It’s important to find a counselor in Richmond who works well with both partners and can make sessions safe and supportive. If you’re looking for the best couples counseling in Richmond, VA, consider connecting with the professionals at Well Marriage Center.
What Is the Success Rate of Marriage Counseling?
Currently, the success rate of counseling for couples is around 75% and climbing as modern therapeutic techniques are being adopted. However, marriage counseling is about the work you put in as a couple and, unfortunately, a little over one third of marriages end in divorce within 4 years. But the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists states that 90% of couples who go through couples therapy feel more emotionally secure afterward and are glad they went through the process. Because of this, 98% of couples say that counseling was a positive experience. All of this is great news for couples willing to take the next step in securing or improving their relationship for the long term!
Flourish with Marriage Counseling in Richmond & Short Pump, VA
At Well Marriage Center, we offer counseling services in Richmond, so you can work on improving your relationship with your partner. Get in touch with us to arrange a meeting with one of our licensed counselors. Together, we’ll figure out how to make your relationship stronger and more satisfying based on your individual wants and goals. Take the first step towards a happier, healthier marriage today by contacting our intake coordinator, Melinda!